Three buildings along Main Street in downtown Dallas were demolished to make way for The Adolphus Hotel’s new grand ballrooms and conference center. Special permits and close coordination with nearby merchants and City authorities were required throughout the demolition and construction phase. The new facility consists of large, multi-use ballrooms and meeting rooms bordered by pre-function assembly areas. Graciously appointed lounging areas are located on each floor. A newly furnished service kitchen provides outstanding cuisine from a back-of-the-house staging and storage area.
Construction of the new addition was complicated by the fact that it was bounded on three sides by existing structures which housed the hotel, parking structure, and art gallery. The new ballroom floor levels were tied to the existing hotel by a series of complicated ramps and stairs on each of the different elevations.
Beautiful walnut paneling and Old World craftsmanship are prominent through-out the existing hotel constructed in 1912. The rich wood detailing and hand-crafted molding applications are duplicated in the new facility. The hotel’s tradition and elegance is alive in the new ballrooms where intricate coffered ceilings conceal an indirect lighting system. Exquisite European crystal chandeliers grace each of the ballrooms as well as the main staircase. The grand staircase is clad in luxurious green Italian marble common throughout the hotel. The ornate handrail was identically duplicated from the early 1900 iron castings from the original construction. The Adolphus “A” logo is perfectly reproduced and prominently framed by solid brass baluster. The Adolphus legacy of elegance and craftsmanship truly lives on in the new addition.
The Adolphus Hotel is listed in the National Registry of Historic Places.